College Day Visits are here! GEAR UP and the University staff want to make sure your students have the best experience possible. College Days are required for students in the 7th, 9th, and 11th grade. 8th, 10th, 12th grade college visits are allowed but not required (if GEAR UP budget allows). Some of our participating higher education institutions may have set aside designated days for our schools to come to their campuses to visit. It is our goal to provide GEAR UP students a fun and enriching day.Click here to download the College Visit Contact List.
College Visit Guidelines
- PICK A DATE: Each college campus may have designated particular days for GEAR UP students to visit. Please book your day as soon as possible with the college.
- TRANSPORTATION AND PURCHASE ORDERS (PO’s): Secure means of transportation for college visits. Work with designated personnel for PO’s on transportation and meals.
- CHOOSE STAFF: We want the College Day to move as smooth as possible without incident. Please make sure you have one staff member on the visit who can administer discipline and make policy decisions (call parent, deal with shop lifting, etc.) regarding students if need be. Please have a combination of male and female staff attending. Staff is required to accompany student on all aspect of the day (tours, lectures, etc.). Be cognizant of students with special needs who may be participating. You are required to have for 1 adult per 20 students.
- CONFIRM: Because there will be several schools attending and space is limited, please confirm your number of students with the college two to three days prior to visit.
- MEALS: Each school should have budgeted for student meals. The colleges are aware that schools budgeted $7-$10 per student. If meals are provided by the college, the school should be prepared to pay either by check, P.O. or whatever form of payment suggested by the college. Schools are required to eat on campus or lunch provided by school district. Please inform the college ahead of time if you will or will not be dining on campus. You may have to contact college/university dining services to arrange meals.
- CANCELLATION: If you must cancel, please let the college or university know at least two days before the visit date.
- Please state you are with the Oklahoma State Regents GEAR UP Program.
- Have a student count ready for them.
- Remember days are limited so call early!