Parent Leadership Academy
The Parent Leadership Academy engages parents to become better informed about education, improving students' performance.
The Parent Leadership Academy is an opportunity for parents to learn how to become involved in not only their child’s education but become better informed about how to strengthen learning for all students. It helps parents get a clearer understanding of education terms and jargon, which can open the lines of communication among parents, teachers and students.
With support from Oklahoma GEAR UP, the Parent Leadership Academy provides parents with the tools and training to understand what students are expected to learn and be able to do. They learn leadership skills necessary to develop parent-school-community partnerships to significantly increase the number of students who are prepared to enter and succeed in college.
- Attend three days of training spread out over a three-month period.
- Complete homework following each session.
- Understand the class is just the beginning. The real work is the project (for which you will receive support and money).
Participation is open to all parents, grandparents and guardians who have or have had children in one of Oklahoma GEAR UP's 10 school districts and who is not a current employee or their spouse of the school or school district.
Benefits for Parents
- Parents will be better informed about education.
- Parents will have clearer understanding of education terms and jargon.
- Parents will have clearer understanding of what children are expected to learn.
- Parents will place higher value on education for their child and for themselves.
- Parents will help schools better communicate with all parents.
Benefits for Schools
- Schools will have parents who are better informed about the challenges schools face.
- Schools will have parents who are more supportive of schools and school staff.
- Schools will have parents who are better prepared to serve as effective members of school committees, councils, etc.
- Schools will have parents who understand the need to be involved in their child's education.
- Schools will have parents who can bring skills and resources to schools.
Benefits for Students
- Students will have parents who better understand the child's strengths and challenges at school.
- Students will know their parents are interested in their education.
- Students will know their parents value education.
- Students will have parents who are stronger advocates, decision-makers and teachers.
- Students will have greater likelihood of achieving at higher levels and of continuing education after high school.